Monday, November 06, 2006

Today a student was more upset about getting his shoes dirty than he was excited about an opportunity to participate in team building activities in the park. Later, he lost his earring and told me if the principal didn't buy him a new one, he would "kill his family." The kid is such an angry mess. The weirdest part is that he is an angry drama queen. I am not sure that he is out yet to himself, but it is the oddest, stereotype destroying vision to see this effeminate boy who is obsessed with clothing but the clothing is the whole baggy pants, jordans, and fake diamond earring look that is ghetto fashion.

My classroom was a million degrees today. It was impossible to get adults to function let alone teenagers. Most of the kids in my room had their heads down on the desks after about ten minutes of class. I was trying to introduce the concept of a literary analysis essay which is a pretty tough concept for these guys. But I didn't have a fighting chance. Is it too much to ask for the most basic of climate control?

On the other hand, I did learn a great new phrase. "when you look in the mirror as you get dressed, do you get jigged?" Apparently it means excited that you look good. Hmm.

No comments: