Sunday, November 19, 2006

Movin' on up?
This week announces the big deal what we've all been waiting for news--we are out of Bushwick. ETA--2008. Optimistic hoorahs abound and cheery faces of former employees determined to make this their last year are reinvigorated and zealous in their beliefs that a new building in a new, theme-appropriate setting will serve as the deus-ex- machina to this Greek tragedy. Yours truly remains somewhat cynical and befuddled. Sure, I think the move will be a good one for the school. When the move actually happens is another story and having worked on minor home improvement projects I can say with a tad of authority that I find the move in date unrealistic at best. There are claims that the school construction department has already reviewed the building and given their priliminary cost estimates and made their best guess. True or false, the bureaucracy that is the Department has little of my faith and none of my trust.
Next, comes the question-- will we continue to serve the Bushwick community when we are no longer in Bushwick? Should we? The public word is yes, of course, we are devoted, dedicated and loyal to the community that we've served for the past four years, but again, I reserve the right to see. The students are either excited to move or refusing to go and parents are concerned about safety in the new location as well as the fears about transportation.
The best news so far that I've heard is that as our new location is somewhat challenging to traverse, our new start time will be 9:30 am, ahh morning jogs.
While it cheers me to see my fellow worker bees so delighted with the prospects of working toilets and proper lighting, I remain puckered, too tightly wound, and frazzled. It's hard to pinpoint why this is exactly, perhaps I am no longer a believer and this is the ultimate clunk over the head for me that I must move on. Not that I should but that I must.
Perhaps my indifference suggests that while the school is finally growing into its mission, I become less and less alligned with its goals. The theme doesn't seem to fit with my talents suggesting I'd serve better elsewhere. This new plan (in the making) to become a technical school (that still pushes higher education) strikes me as inane and I want nothing to do with it. I despise the idea of teaching an English class based on reading how- to manuals for electric drills and power saws. Nope, it's time for this spotted apple to find a new orchard. Know any farmers?

No comments: