Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Work to Rule. Apparently this is a pre-strike phase associated with labor workers doing their minimal before going out on strike. Apparently, this is what our principal thinks we are doing since we refused to agree to his proposal. This is the first time I've ever felt personally insulted by my boss. 8 of us work an extra hour a day and he wants the rest of the staff to vote on whether or not I should wait around an extra hour to attend a meeting unpaid. He is upset because the staff doesn't want to vote on that because they feel that it's not their right to determine what is right for somoene else? I think he should be delighted that the staff is unified and respectful of each other. To me that shows a tremendous sense of unity, much more so than the divide an conquer mentality of his proposal which is a union-buster of an idea if I've ever seen one. NONE of this has to do (really) with whether or not I'd put in an extra hour. I put in tons of extra hours all year, in fact, I rarely leave before 5 and I am always there by 7:30, but that is MY CHOICE. As soon as someone mandates me to be there, it is no longer acceptable. Especially at the rate of pay I currently earn and the lack of respect my job receives at least within the system. There is a reason we have a contract, and I am so grateful to tbe teachers who fought for it. I realize that these small schools are attempting to break up the union and I only hope that the young, naive, or temporary teachers who intend to leave the industry soon enough don't screw it up for the careerists. I certainly won't. I feel dissapointed in my leader and bummed that he is being petty. I cannot see his pov. I am trying but I sincerely don't see where he is coming from. Why does he think these meetings are so important? It's much more important to me to teach, to see students, to have clubs after school, not to have face time with him or be lectured to about time cards and lateness policies or whatever other inconsistent and unclear system they are trying to put in place. It's simply not what makes us a good school. We're good because the kids come first. it was a sad moment today, and I hope he will calm down and rethink his strategy and not bark at us tomorrow as he did last week like we are children in need of a spanking.

No comments: