Tuesday, May 13, 2014

This was the banner decorating the front of a friend's school. Yup. It's bad enough that it is in Comic Sans, but the grammatical error was not in jest. Look, I appreciate Teacher Appreciation Week.
It's a thankless job (in some ways) and it is a wonderful feeling to take a breath, step-back and remember that this stuff matters. But sometimes I think the week and the ways that the schools go about "rewarding" professionals misses the point. Appreciate a teacher--give them four amazing workshops to sign-up for, write a letter of commendation and stick it in their file, set-up a networking opportunity for teachers to meet teachers in other schools or in other networks, and yeah toss in a breakfast and a coffee gift certificate :-). I sound like I'm complaining. It's a great week. Truly. At my daughter's school it was like a well-oiled machine. Catered brunches, and meaningful notes, thoughtful gifts, and good spirit all-around. I just want the profession elevated and the respect to go with all the good will and the thoughtful nod to a really, really important job.

No comments: